Head of Customer Success
PLEASE, READ THE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE APPLYING :-)
IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN CUSTOMER SUCCESS FOR A SAAS BUSINESS, DON'T APPLY. THANK YOU!
Agorapulse is a self-service social media management tool. The two founders are French and the headquarters is based in Paris. Out of the 55 team members, 22 are based in Paris. All other team members work remotely all across the world. The second biggest country is the US where we have 14 team members.
Since our inception, in late 2011, we’ve always invested heavily on customer support. Our average response time in support is 20 minutes and we provide support 24/7. But support is a “reactive” communication and we’ve decided to invest in a more “pro-active” approach with our high-value customers ($199/month and above).
We’ve started to assemble a small customer success team made of team members who have had significant customer support experience. We’ve also started to work on the framework and processes for that new function in the company.
We’re now looking for someone to lead our customer success efforts.
We want that person to be in Paris because, despite most our clients being outside of France, the product team and our head of customer support is in Paris. Being close to them makes a big difference.
The position is based in Paris.
The head of customer success must have impeccable mastering of the French and English languages. Another European language is a plus.
The head of customer success will manage a team. As of today, the team is made of 2 full-time team members and 2 part-time team members (they also do sales/support in their region). In the next 12 months, the number of full-time team members will grow to at least 4 full-time team members.
Positioning within the company’s organization
The head of customer success will initially report directly to the CEO. That may change in the future as we have a hard limit at 6 direct reports and have to adapt as we grow.
She/he will closely collaborate with key stakeholders across the company including:
- Onboarding. Our head of onboarding (based in the US) has been conducting a lot of customer interviews and is passionate about better understanding our customers. He’ll be a resource and sidekick for customer success.
- Sales. Our sales director (based in Ireland) is responsible for training all our sales team members. Sales and customer success needs to work hand in hand to ensure new clients are taken care of by the CS team.
- Customer Support. The customer support team is a key component of our success. The head of customer success will need to have great knowledge of our support processes and standards. Customer success being sometimes the proactive version of customer support, interactions and collaboration between the two teams will be crucial.
- Product. Our product and engineering teams are based in Paris. The product team is eager to learn from customer support and customer success to make sure that the product roadmap is aligned with our customers’ needs.
In order to thrive in customer success, the head of customer success will need to get in-depth knowledge of our product, its API ecosystem, the various support tools we use, our competitive landscape and our clients. This requires extensive training we expect will last from 4 to 6 months. This training will be done mostly by doing customer support and participating in sales demos. Obviously, there will also be customer success tasks and collaboration with the existing customer success team members, but training will be the priority in the beginning.
The ultimate goal of the head of customer success is to decrease net MRR churn and collect feedback from our customers to help us build a product that will be better aligned with our users’ needs.
Success will be measured by the evolution of net MRR churn over time as well as the quantity / quality of the insights gathered that will help us build a better product.
The day-to-day job
Ensuring the growth of our European markets will require alignment between the following functions:
- Customer onboarding. One of the key goals of customer success is to ensure our new customers realize as much value as possible from using our tool. During the first 3 months following their subscription, we stay close to them using phone and email touch points to uncover potential issues and get them resolved and to offer training when appropriate.
- Assisting customers in bad health. We’ve put a system in place to score our customers’ health and identify those who are not using our product to a healthy level. We reach out to these customers to ensure they’re not encountering issues and understand why their product usage is low. Based on what we learn, we take the necessary actions with them.
- Customer discovery / interviews. One of the priorities of customer success is to gather insights from our customers to nurture and prioritize our product roadmap. Each touch point is an opportunity to gather feedback and capture in a way that can help our product and marketing teams. We also propose each customer to participate in longer form interviews in exchange for Amazon gift cards. This part of the customer success job is crucial to build a better product (and business) in the future.
- Gathering insights from churned customers. We’ve built a system to track cancel reasons. Despite being mostly automated in many instances, we still reach out to churned customers to better understand the “real” reason. Understanding why customers churn is also crucial to help reduce churn in the future.
- Promoting new features/modules/add-ons to existing customers. One of our goals moving forward is to increase our ARPA. To get there, we’re going to develop new product add-ons and modules as well as new features that will be only available to certain plans. The customer success team will be in charge of presenting these features/add-ons/modules to existing clients and see if they could be of value to them.
- At least 4 to 6 years experience in customer success at a self service BtoB SaaS business
- Experience with managing a team (a remote team preferred)
- Past experience in customer support is a big plus
- Strong ability to write and speak English & French
- Obsessed by customer service
- Strong communication skills
- Problem solver
- Strong organizational skills
- Goal- and results-driven
- Experience in the social media industry a big plus
- Strong team player but still a self-starter
- Thrives in a multitasking environment and can adjust priorities on the fly
- Able to work in a high energy, hyper-growth, startup environment
- Driven from within: No one needs to push you to excel -- it’s just who you are
- Eager to learn, adapt and perfect your work; you seek out help and put it to good use
Health coverage (mutulle complémentaire), ticket restaurant, central location (Chatelet les Halles / Rivoli), part time remote work possible after the training period.
Salary: 60.000 to 75.000€ bruts depending on the level of experience in the field.